The fourth edition of the European Summer Music Academy (ESMA) will take place from 19 to 30 July 2015 in Pristina. Music students from Kosovo and abroad will again have the opportunity of studying with renowned professors from a number of European countries as well as meeting their peers from other countries. ESMA 2015 will offer the following instruments: piano, violin, viola, cello, contrabass, clarinet, flute, trumpet, trombone and singing. Like in 2014 we will again have an opera class.
This year’s novelty will be that all students will participate in chamber music groups. Furthermore for the first time there will be an ESMA string orchestra conducted by musical director Desar Sulejmani. Another important new feature will be the composition competition: all young composers (up to 35 years of age) will be invited to submit original works for string orchestra (duration: about 6 minutes). The winning piece will be performed by the ESMA orchestra, and the composer may receive a monetary prize
In 2015 it will be the turn of the Embassy of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg to organize this event, together with a number of other embassies, the EU Office, as well as international and local institutions and sponsors. This year’s local project implementer is the NGO Music Art Centre Association DAM.
Participation is free for all students. Accommodation for students coming from outside Pristina will be secured in the dormitories of the University of Pristina free of charge.
Application deadline is 25 June 2015.
ESMA 2015 – Composition Competition
Interested composers are invited to submit an original work for string orchestra (see conditions below). A jury led by ESMA musical director Desar Sulejmani, and comprising all string professors of ESMA 2015 as well as a representative of the Embassy of Luxembourg in Kosovo, will evaluate submissions and proclaim one single winner. The winner will receive a monetary prize of 300,- EUR (three hundred euro), and the winning entry will be performed at the Closing Ceremony of ESMA 2015 by the ESMA String Festival Orchestra.
The following conditions apply:
- Submissions should only be for the following orchestration: violins I & II, violas, celli and contrabass.
- The submitted piece should be of a duration between minimum 5 (five) and maximum 10 (ten) minutes.
- The work has to be an original composition that has never been performed or submitted before.
- Deadline for submissions is 12 June 2015 at midnight.
- There are no conditions of citizenship or residency.
- The score must be written in one of the following formats: Sibelius, Finale or Logic Pro. All scores (conductor score) have to be also submitted in .pdf format.
- All submissions are to be sent to ESMA2015@mae.etat.lu with the subject: “New Piece for ESMA Festival String Orchestra”.
- A participating composer may only submit one single piece. However, a submission may be entered by more than one composer (i.e. a collaborative work). In this case all collaborators will have to fulfil the age condition below.
- Only composers born on 1stof January 1980 or later are eligible to participate.
- By submitting his or her work, a composer implicitly gives permission to the organizers to copy and distribute the scores.
- All participating composers should join a short CV to their submission (no longer than one page).